This copyright policy sets out how users are permitted to use our content and also explains the types of use that require the purchase of additional licences. This policy forms part of our terms and conditions. Thank you for reading this policy, our ability to invest in high quality journalism depends on our users complying with it. We reserve the right to change our copyright policy from time to time by publishing an updated policy on luxe.digital, which shall become effective and replace any previous policy with effect from publication. This version of the copyright policy was published on June 9, 2017.
What is copyright?
Copyright law gives the copyright owner the exclusive right to control the use of copyright protected works. All of the material published on our website and other digital/wireless platforms is protected by copyright law and should only be used as set out in the “How may I use the Luxe Digital Content?” section below. Use that is made without our permission may therefore infringe our copyright which can result in personal and corporate liability. Where we state below that something is not allowed or permitted, then to do so is a breach of our terms and conditions, i.e. is a breach of contract, and may also violate copyright law.
How may I use the Luxe Digital Content?
You may do the following:
- View our content for your personal use on any device that is compatible with luxe.digital (this might be your PC, laptop, smartphone, tablet or other mobile device) and store our content on that device for your personal use;
- Print single copies of articles on paper for your personal use;
- Share links to articles by using any sharing tools we make available.
How may I republish or redistribute the Luxe Digital Content?
Except as set out above, you may not copy the Luxe Digital Content from luxe.digital or any third party source of the Luxe Digital Content such as news aggregators and you may not republish or redistribute full text articles, for example by pasting them into emails or republishing them in any media, including websites, newsletters or intranets.
We recognise that users of the Internet want to share information with others. We therefore permit limited republishing and redistribution of the Luxe Digital Content as set out below provided that this does not create a Substitute for Luxe Digital’s own products or services. We define a Substitute as a product or service that reduces the need for users or other third parties to visit luxe.digital directly, or which creates revenue from the Luxe Digital’s content to the detriment of Luxe Digital’s own ability to generate revenues from that content.
As long as you do not create a Substitute, you may do the following:
- Publish online, the original Luxe Digital headline and a link to the article and the first 140 characters of an article (what we call teaser text);
- Forward the original headlines, links and teaser text to other individuals;
- Download our RSS feeds and view them for your personal use. We currently publish headlines and teaser text within our RSS feeds. You may also make an RSS feed available to third parties, users within an organisation you work for or users of a website that you publish, on condition that you comply with the restrictions set out below.
The restrictions that apply to use of our RSS feeds are that you:
- only publish the feed for access via a web-based browser.
- do not use or publish the feed as part of a paid for service or for other commercial gain.
- publish the feed as it is made available on luxe.digital, so that you only include the headline and teaser content, and ensure that the headline links back to the full text article on luxe.digital.
- attribute the feed to the Luxe Digital as “© Luxe Digital [year]”.
- do not archive the feed or any of its content.
- comply with our guidelines on usage of the Luxe Digital logos.
Am I allowed to copy or summarise limited parts of Luxe Digital full text content?
As specified above you may not republish or redistribute full text articles (except as permitted by any sharing tools we make available).
You may however republish or redistribute ”Summaries” of Luxe Digital articles if you comply with the conditions set out below. “Summaries” can be either an “extract” or an “abstract”. By “extract” we mean 30 words copied verbatim from an Luxe Digital article which are inserted into a longer original work . By “abstract” we mean a 30 word non-verbatim summary of the news or facts reported in an Luxe Digital article which does not form part of a longer work and does not misrepresent the original Luxe Digital article.
These are the conditions you must comply with in order to produce summaries:
- you source Luxe Digital as the author of any article from which you have derived a summary by way of an attribution such as “Luxe Digital reported that”, with a hypertext link from the word “Luxe Digital” to the original story published on luxe.digital;
- in the case of abstracts, you make clear that the abstract has been produced by you by stating “this abstract from Luxe Digital”, with a hypertext link from the word “Luxe Digital” to the original story published on luxe.digital;
- you ensure that your summaries do not in whole or in part form a Substitute for Luxe Digital’s own products and services (see above for how we define Substitute). The more summaries you create the greater the risk of substitution. No individual or organisation may create, republish or redistribute more than ten summaries in aggregate each day, each one sourced from a different Luxe Digital article that is published on the same day you create the summary;
- you do not use or create summaries that promote or endorse any product or service; and
- if Luxe Digital notifies you that it believes you are creating, republishing or redistributing summaries outside of these parameters, you shall immediately cease doing so and your rights to create summaries shall be regarded as having been withdrawn, unless/until Luxe Digital reaches an agreement with you regarding your use of Luxe Digital articles.
Please note that these rights do not extend to content, data or other material published by Luxe Digital that we licence from third parties (including stock exchange or other index providers) which you may not republish or redistribute.
How am I allowed to link to Luxe Digital Content?
If you would like to link to luxe.digital, please read and comply with the following guidelines and all applicable laws. A site or service that links to luxe.digital:
- may display an Luxe Digital logo (view our brand guidelines) to indicate the source of the link, but must not otherwise use any Luxe Digital trade marks without permission from Luxe Digital;
- must not remove, distort or otherwise alter the size or appearance of the Luxe Digital logo;
- may link to the homepage of luxe.digital, and, provided that you comply with this copyright policy, may also link to other pages of luxe.digital;
- must not be a Substitute (as defined above);
- must not in any way imply that Luxe Digital is endorsing it or its products or services;
- must not misrepresent its relationship with Luxe Digital or present false information about Luxe Digital;
- must not be a site or service that infringes any intellectual property or other right of any person or that otherwise does not comply with all relevant laws and regulations; and
- must not be a site or service that contains content that could be construed as distasteful or offensive.
What am I not permitted to do with the Luxe Digital Content?
You cannot do anything other than make use of the content as set out above, unless you buy the appropriate licence, see below for details. By way of example only, this means that you cannot:
- Copy, publish or redistribute full text articles, photographs, graphics, tables or images in any way (except as permitted by any sharing tools we make available).
- Create derivative works from our content, unless you are creating summaries as described above.
- Photocopy or scan copies of articles.
- Remove the copyright or or trade mark notice from any copies of Luxe Digital Content.
- Use spidering technology or other datamining technologies to search and link to luxe.digital.
- Create a database in electronic or structured manual from by systematically and/or regularly downloading, caching, printing and storing all or any Luxe Digital Content (by spidering or otherwise).
- Frame, harvest or scrape Luxe Digital Content or otherwise access Luxe Digital Content for similar purposes.
- Use or attempt to use Luxe Digital Content outside the parameters we set depending on what subscription you have.